Have you ever had to change plans in the middle of a trip? The Iowa Department of Transportation is making that quick shift in plans a little easier for bicyclists by activating a mobile version of its popular interactive bike map.
Explore this interactive map to plan or alter your trip. Find bicycle trail routes and features including trailheads, parking, restrooms, and bicycle shops.
• Plan your bike trip ahead of time or on the fly: Simply enter the starting address and destination address and a suggested route will be generated.
• Discover Iowa's bicycle facilities: This interactive map shows bike lanes, paved trails, unpaved trails, roads with paved shoulders, sidepaths and bicycle-friendly roads.
• Locate bicycle amenities: The map includes features such as trailheads, restrooms, and water fountains along trails of 5 miles or longer.
• Need repairs: Bicycle shops are also shown.
Both the regular and mobile versions of the interactive bike map website can be found at http://www.iowadot.gov/interactiveiowabikemap.htm. On either version of this site, you can also request a free paper copy of the Iowa Transportation Map for Bicyclists at this website. The map is also available as part of the myIowaDOT app. Find it on Apple devices through the iTunes Store or on Android devices through Google Play by searching for myIowaDOT.
Bicycles and motor vehicles share the same roadways and must follow the same rules of the road. Safely sharing the road is the responsibility of both the bicyclist and the motorist.
Safety tips for bicyclists:
• Always wear a helmet
• Know and obey traffic laws
• Ride on the right, with traffic
• Use hand and arm signals
• Use lights at night
• Ride only where permitted
• Pass on the left
Safety tips for motorists:
• Do not honk at bicyclists
• Use extra caution when passing bicycles
• Be aware that cyclists might swerve to avoid road hazards
• Be careful when opening your vehicle door
• When in doubt, yield to bicyclists
For more information contact Milly Ortiz at 515-233-7733 or at email@example.com.
The UERPC April 2019 Newsletter has hatched! Check out the newsletter to learn about:
The UERPC March 2019 Newsletter has bloomed! Check out the newsletter to learn about:
Some of the headlines you can read about this month include:
Due to a winter storm warning and expected snow accumulation, all three RPA-1 transportation meetings scheduled for February 20, 2019 in Postville are cancelled and will be rescheduled. This includes the Enhancement Committee meeting at 9:00 a.m., the Technical Committee meeting at 10:00 a.m., and the Policy Board meeting at 11:00 a.m.